Re: [OM] Need advice: Slide scanner?

Subject: Re: [OM] Need advice: Slide scanner?
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:57:36 -0500
Jay Maynard wrote:

> Has anyone here tried it with third-party software? The guy who developed
> the VuePrint image software for Windows has apparently written a scanner
> driver for this thing, and it's supposed to address the many inadequacies of
> the HP drivers...

Ed Hamrick (www.hamrick.com) just released VueSmart 4.0 the other day,
and based on a few trial scans, the performance of the HP is quite
impressive.

The big drawback for me---and alot of other users it seems---is the
noise patterns that show up in dark areas of slides.  The problem is
random and affects some images and not others.  VueSmart has helped, but
not eliminated it in my unit.  I know some who don't have this problem,
and others who exchanged scanners (HP is good in this regard) and been
happy with the replacements.

After telling Ed Hamrick my problem, he suggested a few things: Make
sure the scanner is well away from other devices; use the re-calibrate
command with the front port covered; and perform scans with the scanner
covered with a piece of paper, to prevent ambient light from
interfering.

Morgan Sparks