Re: [OM] Need advice: Slide scanner?

Subject: Re: [OM] Need advice: Slide scanner?
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:27:38 -0800
>From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>The big drawback for me---and alot of other users it seems---is the
>noise patterns that show up in dark areas of slides...

I've had mixed results with multiple samplings. It is a tedious process,
and so you don't try it unless it's either a priceless shot, or one that
you have good reason to think will clean up.

Take multiple scans and merge them in Photoshop. Image data is always
additive, whereas noise is random, and tends to cancel out over several
samplings. With slides, use the "darken" blend mode, with negatives, use
"lighten." This will cause (in either case) the dense part of slide or
negative to successively mask more of the noise.

The Nikon LS-2000 can do this automagically, but I haven't needed it bad
enough to fork over the price of a Zuiko 180/2! As with most things, you
get what you pay for in a scanner.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229