Re: [OM] Need advice: Slide scanner?

Subject: Re: [OM] Need advice: Slide scanner?
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 21:58:47 -0800
I discovered the VueSmart utility for the HP scanner from the APML gang,
downloaded it and have never looked back.  It addresses many of the
"weaknesses" cited in the semi-FAQ (and semi grouch) cited by someone.  I
will be the first to tell anyone the standard software with the HP scanner
has its limitations.  But for the target audience and the price point, I
also believe it is an excellent piece of equipment.  Add VueSmart to the
package and your capabilities and productivity expand even more.  The
software supports hundreds of film types, 5 or 6 different resolution
levels, full film strip scans (1 scan writes n frames as individual images),
adjustable levels, .tif or.jpg output, adjustable compression for .jpg, and
much more.  If you have an HP scanner, you need VueSmart.

Also, someone indicated another make/model had a much higher gamma (3.6).
This is an extremely desirable capability and one the HP unit can not match.
If your images tend to have extreme shadow or dark areas, like astro shots,
this could take the HP unit out of consideration, regardless of price
considerations.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far"

Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxx> enquired: