Re: [OM] OM1n serial numbers?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM1n serial numbers?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 11:53:22 -0700
At 08:31 AM 1/19/99 -0800, 'srp' wrote:
>hi kids
>contemplating buying a back-up OM1n.
>The serial # is  2187xxx
>can anyone approximate it's birthdate for me?

Steve:

1. Don't quote full serial numbers on the 'Net.  The unscrupulous can use them
for untoward purposes (i.e., reporting them "stolen", and possibly even getting
you into trouble).  On a 7-digit number like above, the first four are more
than enough to do approximate dating.  (You'll notice I blanked the last three
digits in this reply.)

2. My OM-1n, bought from a gent who bought it new in 1987, has a serial number
of 2191xxx.  Yours sounds like the last year of production (which I believe was
1987 -- a sad day for Olympus, in my opinion).  A more precise answer can be
gleaned from reading the FAQ, section "B20," at:

   http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq

Have at 'er.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/