Re: [OM] t8/t10 ring flashes

Subject: Re: [OM] t8/t10 ring flashes
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 23:41:15 -0800
>From: Marko Vrabec <marko.vrabec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Can the cross-polarizer on T10 flash confuse metering on OM cameras?

Not in my experience, at least when using TTL auto. If you use the OM-4/2s
spot meter, the polarizer might interfere with exposure metering, depending
on its orientation with respect to the beam splitter.

>... I photographed eyes of my family (one eye per frame ;-) with
>crosspol to remove a reflex from the flash, the slides turned up way too
>dark...
>
>Has anybody photographed eyes successfully? How?

Not human eyes, but take a look at the following. All were taken with the
90/2 macro at its closest focus and T-10 ring light WITHOUT
cross-polarizer, except for the last one which did have the x-pol.

These JPEGs are all about 80kB, so slow modems will take a while. These are
the scans supplied by the processor (Seattle Film Works), and are noticable
less sharp than the corresponding prints. Film is Kodak Gold 800.

<http://www.bytesmiths.com/photos/05390_18.jpg> 90/2, Zuiko 2x, Zuiko 1.4x,
stopped down to f5.6 on the lens, effective aperature f16.

<http://www.bytesmiths.com/photos/05390_19.jpg> same as above, stopped all
the way down, effective aperature f85.

<http://www.bytesmiths.com/photos/05390_20.jpg> same as above, shot wide
open, effective aperature f5.6.

<http://www.bytesmiths.com/photos/05390_21.jpg> 90/2 with Zuiko 2x, lens
set to f5.6, effective aperature f11.

<http://www.bytesmiths.com/photos/05390_22.jpg> same as above, lens wide
open, effective aperature f4.

<http://www.bytesmiths.com/photos/05390_23.jpg> same as above, but with
with x-pol -- note exposure is correct, but the ring light is still visible.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229