Re: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?

Subject: Re: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 02:30:52 -0600
>I find your last email to this list quite interesting, but I also find
>you are only talking Nikon F-series (F5) and Canon EOS-series. So I
>can't help wonder if you have been looking at Pentax or Minolta cameras?
>They are supposed to produce good and reliable AF cameras too.

Minolta and Pentax would be contenders except the lack of common
availability of rental gear. As mentioned in the previous post an extremely
important requirement of my new system is availibility of spare/rental
gear.  If I'm going to do an assignment this week and my OM-2S croaks--how
long would it take me to scare up a replacement?  If I was Nikon or EOS
based, I could get spare equipment within the hour.

As far as restricting my selection to either the EOS-3 or F5, well,
actually the new F100 is a contender too (and much less expensive...), but
since the basic premise is that I can afford either flagship camera, why
not?  (Hmm, size, weight...).

Another person has pointed out the MF options (Pentax 645) vs the 35mm
wonderbricks.  The jury is still out on this one, but I have several
problems with that route:  Lack of lens choices (extreme wide-angle, shift,
zooms and super-teles) and aweful flash-sync speeds.  Otherwise, the Pentax
645-AF is extremely attractive.  I keep flip-flopping back and forth on an
hourly basis on going MF instead of a killer 35mm system.  Frankly, MF
would be cheaper.

There is another reason why I'm ever so slightly leaning towards the Nikon
F5/F100:  My brother is a pro using Nikon and my father also uses Nikon.
Kinda a family thing.  (however, another brother is the editor for a
southwest 4wd rag and he uses an ancient Pentax).  Anyway, the bro #1 just
about convinced me last year that the F5 was well worth the switchover from
Olympus.  I've stuck it out, though, for two reasons:  I couldn't afford it
and I love egging him on.  <g>

Speaking of family things, out of eight sibilings, four of us have Jeeps,
and there are a bunch of other 4WDs in the family too.  Why?  Not sure,
except Mom and Dad used to take us two-tracking and camping in the old
station wagons.  (number 1 requirement of a mate:  must like camping!)

The search for the perfect camera system goes on...

Ken

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography

image66@xxxxxxx