Re: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?

Subject: Re: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 12:20:52 -0600
Ok, everybody can relax a little.  The bank is not requiring me to sell my
equipment right now so I'll wait a little while before selling out.  I
know, I know, it's Christmas time and everybody was looking forward to
getting the 35/shift lens and the freshly overhauled OM-1 and Om-2s.

My research into a new system has resulted in some very interesting
information.  First of all, I'm trying to maintain a professional attitude
about it and not apply any prejudices towards the selection process.
Either the Nikon or Canon system is a top system that one cannot make an
error selecting one or the other.

The EOS photographers that I've talked with are very religious about their
cameras and lenses.  I have no doubt that Canon is developing the best
lineup of anybody and has nice features such as the IS (internal
stabilazation) lenses.  My problem, though with them is that they are very
electronic and have there own batteries.  I fear that I could end up
spending a small fortune on batteries before an assignment.  The EOS-1n and
RS have been disqualified in my mind because of the metering system.   The
sensor is located in the penteprism and changing focusing screens requires
exposure compensation.  Hmm, I haven't that problem with my OM-2S.  Also,
true to Canon form, auto exposures are determined prior to exposure and the
flash control is similar to that in Olympus' IS series of cameras.  As good
as the flash control system is, it isn't quite as good as a true TTL method
of control.  The TTL control is kinda convoluted and does result in varied
exposures if one tries to get very creative with the flashes.  Mirror slap
is a huge problem with the EOS and just maybe they might get that fixed in
the EOS-3.  Maybe.  Canon continues to put the effort into lenses and eye
control and the EOS-3 is king with 45 focus points, but lacks effort into
some very professional features that a commercial photographer comes to
expect in any system camera.  They still haven't come up with a flexible
box like their origional F1.  The EOS lineup is best if you are a
photojournalist or sports or wildlife photographer.  The AF is very fast.

The Nikon F5 is the system camera for the commercial photographer.  This
camera has more features, capabilities and backup features than you can
shake a stick at.  The F5 presents something that the EOS doesn't really
share.  That is options.  Options in how one can take a picture, control
the camera, rewind the film, even look at the viewfinder.  One thing I've
always liked about the Nikon F-series is the 100% viewfinder.  Not 97 0ke
the Canon or thereabouts with the Olympus.  For wedding, commercial and
portrait work the 100% viewfinder is absolutely important and is a standard
among MF equipment.  The Nikon photographers I've talked with in this
research say that the F5 has revolutionized their photography and they
wouldn't dream of returning to the F4.  The F5 allows them to work like
they did with the F3 by allowing them to control the camera instead of the
camera controlling them.  In fact, two photographers said that their backup
body is the F3 as it is closer to the F5 than the F4 in the way it allows
them to work.  Interesting!  Reliability of the F5 has been a problem, with
focus screens cracking, lens mounts breaking and film transports jamming,
but rarily a problem with the electronics!  (wheras, the EOS has been
experiencing more electronics failures, but few mechanical).  Nikon has
been continueing to improve the F5 and by the time I buy a new one, most of
the bugs will have been worked out.

Although, the viewfinder information in the new EOS-3 will be clean and to
the point, compared to the cluttered F5 viewfinder, I find the F5
viewfinder providing more usable information without having to look at the
top of the camera LCD.  If I can't see it in the viewfinder, it ain't worth
knowing.  This is an important point--especially with night photography.
Been there done that...

Yes, at this point I'm leaning ever so slightly towards the Nikon.  I think
Nikon and Olympus engineering is from similar molds where the mechanical
engineering is supurb and the basic premise of photography hasn't been
neglected.  Ergonomic design of the EOS is terrific and the lenses are a
pure joy to use, but I find the camera to be a bit "shallow" for me.
Select a program mode and fire away.   The Nikon encourages you to use it
manually as much as it encourages you to just put it on auto.

It comes down to an interesting user distinction.  Are you a techno-weenie
or a techniquo-weenie?  Most Olympus users are techniquo-weenies (as
technology has passed us by), and the Nikon seems to encourage technique
more than the Canon.  For me, Nikon has always encouraged Excellence.
Also, it has been interesting to actually hold and compare the EOS to the
Nikon vs my Olympus OM-2S with winder.  Looking through the viewfinders,
holding the cameras, and just plain using them, I find the Nikon F5 to be
more like the Olympus than the Canon.

Would I be happy with either camera system?  You bet, but I think that for
the style of photography I do, and with the commercial applications, the
Nikon fits me just a little better. If my number one priority was sports,
I'd select the Canon in a heartbeat.

Another criteria for me is the availability of lenses on the used market.
Even though I have a high budget amount, I'd rather spend the bulk of that
on the body and a 400/2.8 and 1.4x teleconverter.  I want a shift lens and
I can pick up an ancient 24/shift pretty reasonably that will still work on
the F5.  A couple three zooms such as a 20-35/2.8 by Tokina (street price
$800), a Nikkor 35-70/2.8 and a Nikkor 70-300 would fill out my bag nicely
along with a MN-30 battery pack and whatever SB flash fits my fancy.

I know this post is a bit long and extremely Olympus off-topic.  Please
forgive my insensitivity.  I'm reaching a crossroads in my photographic
career and I''m trying to make the best decision possible--especially
considering the monetary investment.  The camera is an extension of our
"vision" or "way of seeing."  The Olympus has been an unbelievable camera
for that as it doesn't get in the way of me and it encourages excellence.
My needs are ever changing and I need a system that can change with me.
Most of all, I need flexibility:  fast AF, advanced flash control (strobe,
rear curtain sync, fill-flash, etc), and remote control options not
available in Olympus.  I wish I could stick with Olympus, but eventually
one must go where he must go.

I too, know that I may never look back.  Several years ago I bought a 14
year old Toyota 4WD truck from an adventure-writer friend of mine.  He was
really sad to see it go and lamented the sale for the entire month leading
up to the transaction.  It was a family member, as far as he was concerned.
 Well, he replaced it with a nice Nisson Pathfinder.  A week later I talked
with him and I asked him how the transition was going.  "Toyota?  What
Toyota?  I'm enjoying the confortable seats, power-steering, automatic
transmission, cruise control, stereo, sound insulation and carpeting too
much to miss that old rough-riding truck."

The Olympus will always hold a special place in my heart, and I hope that I
can keep an OM-1 with the Tokina zoom, but I must accept the fact that we
must all go on with our lives and look back on those simplier days with
fondness but be content with where we are at today.

Ken

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography

image66@xxxxxxx