[OM] Which OM

Subject: [OM] Which OM
From: Mike Bloor <mikbloor@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 17:58:24 GMT
I bought an OM2n new in 1981.  In 1984 I bought a new OM4.  After a few
months it became apparent that whenever my wife and myself were both taking
pictures at the same time, whoever got to the bag first took the OM2n - even
if the lens they wanted was already on the OM4.

The OM4 excels for the spot metering and properly conceived flash attachment
system.  The OM2n is _so_ much smoother.  It has to be worth an extra stop
when hand holding.  All the controls can be used when wearing gloves.  The
OM4 spot metering buttons are difficult to use with bare fingers - at one
point Olympus made me an OM4 with longer buttons (but that's another story).

There is something undefinable about the way an OM2 (and presumably the OM1)
feels, handles and looks (I can not get enthusiastic over the OM10 I bought
recently for use afloat - it just doesn't look right).

If we were all chossing cameras based on paper specs, we probably wouldn't
be using OM's, so they may not be a rational way of making the choice, but
after a long time of looking for a good one, I bought a second OM2n earlier
this year - just in case.

Me a ZA - no.

Mike Bloor
Seratel Ltd.