Re: [OM] Which OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Which OM
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 00:56:02 +0200
>I bought an OM2n new in 1981.  In 1984 I bought a new OM4.  After a few
>months it became apparent that whenever my wife and myself were both taking
>pictures at the same time, whoever got to the bag first took the OM2n - even
>if the lens they wanted was already on the OM4.
>
>The OM4 excels for the spot metering and properly conceived flash attachment
>system.  The OM2n is _so_ much smoother.  It has to be worth an extra stop
>when hand holding.  All the controls can be used when wearing gloves.  The
>OM4 spot metering buttons are difficult to use with bare fingers - at one
>point Olympus made me an OM4 with longer buttons (but that's another story).
>
>There is something undefinable about the way an OM2 (and presumably the OM1)
>feels, handles and looks (I can not get enthusiastic over the OM10 I bought
>recently for use afloat - it just doesn't look right).
>
>If we were all chossing cameras based on paper specs, we probably wouldn't
>be using OM's, so they may not be a rational way of making the choice, but
>after a long time of looking for a good one, I bought a second OM2n earlier
>this year - just in case.
>
>Me a ZA - no.
>

>Mike Bloor

Hello,

my favorite camera is the OM-2n, too. I own three of this, one I was able
to buy "for tinkers" (85 DM, in good condition), because there was a weak
battery inside and the shutter worked sometimes and then the mirror locked
up. The dealer did not know, that this is a typical behaviour with a weak
battery. Only one of these bodies had to be repaired at the age of nine
years, now it is 14 years old and works. The exact age of the other two
bodies I do not know. I have one OM-4Ti, too, which is a nice camera, but
in comparison to the OM-2n, I like the smoother mechanics of the OM-2n.
Further, the OM-2n and (OM-2) has two angled silicon blue cells (only the
Rollei 6008 medium format camera has also two measurement cells), the OM-4
and OM-2SP have only one. Then I "believe in" the ADM (auto dynamic
measurement) which is the only automatic exposure system that measures with
the actual working aperture. In spot metering, the OM-4 has only open
aperture metering like all other automatic exposure cameras. And last but
not least the viewfinder of the OM-2n (and OM-1, OM-1n, OM-2) is unique
because of the technical data. They show 97 0f the film area (more is not
absolutely necessary, because a slide frame shows less, perhaps 92 % ) but
the second data is quite more important: the virtual magnification is 92 %
! You can see this, if you look through an OM-2n with one eye and
simultanous through another camera (like OM-2SP, OM-4, EOS-1, Leica R8 and
so on) with the second eye. Cameras with semitransparent mirrors have a
magnification of maximal 84 %, because the viewfinder gets to dark
otherwise. There is only one possibility to get a higher magnified
viewfinder, you have to take a camera with exchangeable viewfinders like
Canon F-1 or F-1n, Pentax LX (all discontinued) or Nikon F-1 till F-5 and
choose a special magnification finder. This second magnification data was
not mentioned in any message I have read and I wonder if the meaning of it
is known.
Matthias