Re: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?

Subject: Re: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 14:25:41 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Ken Norton wrote:

> its new autofocus/spot metering zones and other capabilities.  The RS
> option is even more exciting as it makes the camera faster and quieter and
> would be perfect for wedding work.

  The RS also shows you the moment of exposure, which with flash, can be a
great, big deal. Pricey [which is why I do not have one] but the way to go
with Canon.

> What about lenses, OTF metering, flash control, macro, etc?  Is there a
> clear advantage between Nikon and Canon?

  The eternal Nikon vs Canon comes to the OM list. Well...simply because
of the IS lenses, I'd go with Canon these days. Large, heavy
battery-suckers, but unique in all photography.

>   What about shift lenses and super-teles?

  Shift lenses ? How about a 24mm tilt/shift ? Only Canon. A 300/4 that
you can handhold easily at 1/30th ? Only Canon. The same lens can be used
as a 420/5.6 and handheld, or as a 600/8 with the appropriate converters,
(the latter only on MF) and handheld...plus there's the usual 300/2.8s
500/4.5's etc. I think Canon's the pick these days (and I own and use
Nikon currently). I think Nikon still holds the edge with flash, but that
is eroding.

> Abandoning Olympus won't be totally complete, though.  We are keeping the
> IS-3 and I'll probably pick up an XA.

  Good man. :-)

> Yes, this means that I've taken the new job.  The photo-gig would have
> worked had we not needed to move and buy a new house.   However, the plan
> is to stash away as much cash as possible so I can "retire" in two years
> from the techno-datapipe business and take pictures full-time.

  Congratulations, Ken. Best of luck in your new job (and cameras).

                               *= Doris Fang =*
                      Who just went nuts (well, crazier)
                        and bought a  tandem
                         mt. bike, so my SO won't keep