Re: : [OM] Tokina AT-X 35-70/2.8 [was: Kodachrome and OTF and other mus

Subject: Re: : [OM] Tokina AT-X 35-70/2.8 [was: Kodachrome and OTF and other musings]
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 22:36:05 -0600
>So you find a softening bokah more desireable than an impressionitic bokah?
>I think impressionistic sounds also good.

Different character, but not always pleasing.  With a nice soft bokah the
subject tends to "jump out" from the background, but the "impressionistic"
background can make the background appear shoddy.  Of course, a lot of this
has to do with focal length, but I still find images taken with primes in
the same focal length, in natural light, to be just a hair more pleasing to
my eye than the Tokina zoom.

That said, what I've learned is that pictures taken with this lens are
absolutely the best at F8, overall for party/event/people shots.  This
gives great depth of field and is still within the reach of your flash and
provides pretty good balance, usually, with the ambient light when using
400 speed film.  (light fall off makes out of focus backgrounds 2-3 down so
any "impressionistic" attributes actually enhance the backgrounds in this
case)

Ken

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography