Re: ebay tactics - was [OM] Need a Manual

Subject: Re: ebay tactics - was [OM] Need a Manual
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 11:26:55 -0800

--

Gary, Shawn et al;

ebay certainly has it's problems, doesn't it?  My observations: I've
been a user of it for about 6 months now. I've both bought and sold.
Most transactions went well.  BUT:

1) As Gary found out and I have noticed, if you post a negative against
a user, you can bet they will post a negative against you.  And there is
no real way to determine the truth of the matter - it then becomes 'he
said she said'.

2) ebay does no real policing (I guess you could say 'How can they?') So
the inevitable dishonest trolls go unpunished.

3) The only 'punishment' ebay administers is if the users' feedback goes
to -4, they are locked out.  However, there is no tracking mechanism to
be sure the troll does not then simply create a new ebay account and
continue his/her dishonesty ad infinitum.

I've had 2 bad experiences: one where a person misrepresented what he
was selling.  That user no longer seems to exist (there are a large
number of negatives against him - there were only 3 negatives when I
bid, his rating was close to 100 - who even knows if the 'positives' are
posted by a large number of shill accounts?) and he perhaps is now using
another ebay handle.  The other just occurred where my wife and daughter
auctioned 3 furbies and one troll was high bidder on 2 of our 3 along
with about 20 others that day.  He has no intention, apparently, of
buying any of them.  There is no way for ebay to police someone who just
madly bids for the hell of it.  So now, we have to pay AGAIN to list the
items.

george  :>)