Re: [OM] response to my filter questions....

Subject: Re: [OM] response to my filter questions....
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 14:25:55 +1100
John Gaasland wrote:

> OK, I have an infamous linear polarizer which I have yet to use. Will it
> work with my OM2n?

Yes.

One trap which I have fallen into far too many times occurs when making
manual exposures. I set the exposure and use it for several shots in
sequence. But when focussing for each shot the front element of the
lens (e.g. Zuiko 35-70 f4) turns, and the polarizer turns with it,
altering the exposure.

> I would guess so, since it doesn't have the spot
> meter.I would also think that a linear polarizer might be a "good" thing
> for cameras that can use it because there would be less distortion with
> only one piece of glass to go through instead of two? Thanks, John.

This raises a question I have been wondering about for some time. How
does a "circular" polarizer work? Presumably it is in two layers, with
the first one polarizing "linearly", since that's what polarization
is, and the second one randomizing the plane of polarization. If the
mechanism somehow depends on quantum effects, is it uniform with respect
to wavelength and intensity, or do circular polarizers introduce visual
artefacts?