Re: [OM] bracketing was response to my filter questions....

Subject: Re: [OM] bracketing was response to my filter questions....
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 02:54:27 +0200
Hello all,

after so many discussion of this issue, I want to tell my view. This summer
I occasional took pictures for a friend of mine, who is a photographer. I
used medium format slide film and I took at least three different exposures
of each scene (the object was a park or great garden), because this photos
where a commisioned work for me and for my friend. So I have nothing
against bracketing (in German this is called series of exposures
(Belichtungsreihe)). But as an amateur photographer I have experienced,
that I do not know the mood of a final picture before I have seen it as a
ready result. I do not think, that I am so professional, that I can direct
every picture in every detail. Perhaps I do not want this, too. What I want
to say is, that I can bracket to achieve more pictures which are convincing
concerning the exposure or I can take more different scenes, because a
picture can become uninteresting not only because of the exposure but also
because of the motif. Or you can do both and you use the most material.
Often I have taken pictures and have thought, that they must be very good,
and after receiving the results I was disappointed (mostly because of the
motifs and not the exposure). On the other hand there were many films,
where I calculated if I should spare the money to devolop them, and after I
got the results, there were wonderful pictures on the films. So my way in
photographing for my own (I would not do so for commisioned work) is to
work correct (I relatively often use the exposure compensation button of
the OM-2) but to leave pieces of random elements back (I am sure that there
are many photographers who do not want any random element in their
pictures). So I bracket seldom for my private pictures.

Matthias