Re: [OM] Online auction editorial

Subject: Re: [OM] Online auction editorial
From: "Perry Bain" <BainP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 20:52:11 -0500
Frank,

I have bought a few items on eBay, and I will have to agree with the others
here that this is standard procedure. I started out like you, expecting
that everyone would bid well in advance of the closing time. I quickly
learned that if I bid my maximum several days before the end of the
auction, it usually resulted in either: a) My bid would be bettered at the
last second (and it is irksome to be outbid by $0.50!) or b) Someone would
come along at the last minute and push my bid all the way to the max, then
leave me to buy it (also aggravating). So now I don't bid until the last 5
minutes or so.

I have almost given up on trying to find a deal there, but occasionally one
slips through. It takes patience and persistence, though. It may not be
worth the hassle to many people. I recently picked up a really nice 50/3.5
macro for $122.50. It was, however, the sixth such lens I have bid on. I
lost out at the last minute on four, and returned one to the seller (sticky
diaphragm). So, it was really much more of a hassle than buying from, say,
KEH. I saved a bit of money in the end, though.

A few of my own guidelines for buying on eBay:

1) Always e-mail the seller for specifics on condition (ask about
diaphragms, foam rot, etc.). usually the descriptions are vague, and a few
specific questions can save a lot of hassle.

2) Don't bid on items where the price approaches "Shutterbug" levels (i.e.,
those charged by Cameta, KEH, etc.). Better to buy from a "reputable"
dealer (I use that term loosely for Cameta) in that case. There seem to be
a few individuals who will bid incredibly high amounts on collectible
items. Let them have their stuff.

3) Don't get too excited about "your" new bit of gear before the auction is
finished. Try to stay emotionally detached for your own mental health.

4) If it's being sold by Pittburgh Camera Exchange, don't even bother to
bid.

5) Avoid eBay altogether. The "collectibles" section is murder for me. I
always find something that I didn't know existed, and that I now must have.
A few months back, I had a weak period where I thought I really needed a
Zeiss Ikon Contessa rangefinder. Luckily, I came to my senses before I
could win an auction for one.

Perry Bain