Re: [OM] Online auction editorial

Subject: Re: [OM] Online auction editorial
From: Steven_Read@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 18:25:52 -0500

I think it "irks" most because the ending bid is only one "bid" above your high
price - unless somebody else does it to them (which makes the seller happy).  So
if you bid a legitimate high value, someone else can outbid you without your
getting a chance to say to yourself  "I guess I could go a little higher" and
they get it for that one bid - on a camera this is occasionally US $0.50 which
is less than coffee and even on expensive items it's usually less than $20,
frankly I can usually part with that without dying (don't tell anybody I'm
negotiating with ;-).  Someone here once said something to the effect of "Ebay
is set up for the sellers benefit"  and I've come to believe it.  There are the
occasional bargains, but there's also mis-grading, mis-representation
(intentional and unintentional), bad packing etc.  And don't forget the
fungus...

My lesson so far is "Be patient.  Don't expect bargains.  Do your best to see
what things are going for before you buy.  Don't spend so heavily on anything
that you can't buy the deal of a lifetime when it drops in your lap."  So far
there is no camera bit I've ever bought that I haven't seen go cheaper elsewhere
within a few months of my purchase**.  Of course if I'd still been in the
market, maybe the selling price would have gone higher.

The list, for now at least, is a kinder place to part with a few old friends and
latch on to others - anybody got a T28 setup?

ebay "Zeke"

**Except for that 28/2.8 I traded to Denton - I had no idea I'd gotten such a
good deal.