Re: [OM] Online auction editorial

Subject: Re: [OM] Online auction editorial
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 19:54:33 -0600
>>it a little higher next time and go for the win! And don't equate the word
>>"auction" with the word "deal"...I personally have had much better 'luck'
>>dealing with the members of this group than any of my many Ebay
>transactions.
>>Susan
>If I didn't go to an "auction" for  a "deal", I might as well pay the full
>used price from a
>camera store. But you hit the nail on one point, it's much more pleasureable
>dealing with
>members of the list.

I agree that when buying Oly equipment it is best to "buy within the family"
for the best deals (except for garage sales and flea markets!!!!)  (OM content)

However, I still have found eBay to be at least an OK source and at times
a really good source of great deals.  As a case in point, my most recent
win as bidder was a super deal -- which I will now share with everyone :-)

Another of my hobbies is gun collecting and shooting.  I recently acquired
a gun that is very hard to come by in the US -- a pre 1968 German Walther
PPK 32 cal. for HALF the price that they usually go for on the used market.
This is one of the best known guns in the world because a certain fictional
British secret agent ( 007 )  has used one since 1962!  I've started collecting
Walthers and this was a real find, as they haven't been imported since 1968,
and getting it at half price was just icing on the cake.  So you CAN find super
deals on eBay -- just depends on timing and who else is intersted.

By the way, I was "monitoring" the final minutes of the auction and
was top bidder, but my top bid had been matched by another bidder
so I was in danger of losing if anyone bid the minimum increment over
my stated amount.  I added $100 to my bid during the last 15 seconds
to thwart any last second overbidding -- which as it turned out did not
occur.  But the point is that you can use this technique to your advantage
even if you are the "front runner" during the last few minutes.     But I have
also lost out during the last few seconds on other bids where someone
REALLY wanted it more than I did -- so I've known eBay disappointment
too!

So keep an eye on the next 50mm F3.5 macro that comes along and
keep trying -- you'll most likely get a deal you are happy with eventually.
After all, even 50mm F3.5's are far more common than German 32 cal
PPKs (in the US, at least)

Ciao,

Hammons,

Mark Hammons