[OM] Frowning on Smile Photo and Video

Subject: [OM] Frowning on Smile Photo and Video
From: ruckfogers@xxxxxxxx (Brian E. Robinson)
Date: 8 Jul 98 19:46
Here is my story and you draw your own conclusions.

Last week I was looking for a Zuiko 35-105 f/3.5-4.5 zoom lens in new or
mint condition. I called B&H, Abe's, Focus, Adorama, Cambridge (who
tried to sell me a Osawa: "Just as good as Zuiko. They make lenses for
medium format. You've heard of them?") and just about everyone else
advertising in Popular Photography magazine. I came across Smile Photo
and Video's 8-page spread and discovered that they had a new one listed
for $269.95. Thinking I had better snap it up the salesman said that all
Zuiko lenses were in such demand that they are going up in price. It
would cost me $399.95 but he would throw in a couple OM filters. Grrr.
Oh well, I thought, I can't find one anywhere so maybe they are becoming
sought after. "I'll take it." I was told it should ship out last Friday.

I got a call today (Wednesday). "Sorry, that lens was sold before I
could ship it. We do have a Tamron that I could let you have for the
same price." I declined and said that I only wanted Zuiko. "We have a
75-150 Zuiko." Is that anywhere near a 35-105? The only other lens I
would be interested in would be an 85 f/2.0. "I have a new one for
$485.95. Would you like me to send it out?"

I told him to cancel the order and ordered a mint 85 f/2.0 from Olympus
Dude (have never done business with him before) for about half the
price.

I personally will not ever do business with Smile again. Perhaps it was
an honest mistake but I feel that I was baited and switched. I don't
give people who try to take my money second chances.

--
PoSTeD 07/08/98 aT 19:46 PST uSiNG OUI Internet Mail 1.9 Beta 1
MY CReDeNTiaLS: "GoD HaTH CHoSeN THe FooLiSH THiNGS oF THe WoRLD To CoNFouND