Re: [OM] opinions and questions-which OM?

Subject: Re: [OM] opinions and questions-which OM?
From: "John Austin" <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 22:43:55 -0700
>Rob wrote:

[snip]
>So that put me to thinking...which camera body do I really want.

Rob,

I'm also a happy user of an OM-2S. I kind of agree that all the bad ones
have hopefully been weeded out. I guess time will tell. Realize though, that
any of the OM bodies, new or used, can fail at any time and could require
future repair. Considering the things you want to do (snapshots of the kids
being important), I would recommend either a 2n or 2S over the 1n. You'll
find the auto exposure and the TTL flash very handy when chasing active
children. And of course it will work for nature, street scenes, you name it.

I like the 2S over the 2n (I've owned both) because of the spot metering
(great when you want to get really serious), the program mode (it does work
and is handy when you are just wanting to get great "snapshots" but don't
have time for a lot of mental input), and the ability to take the 2-x series
focussing screens without affecting the metering accuracy. An OM-2n with
Zuiko 50mm f1.8 will run in the $200-225 range. A OM-2S with the same lens
will fetch $250-275. You could add a T20 flash for $40-50, and for a longer
lens on a budget, the Zuiko 135mm f3.5 is an excellent lens for $50-75. This
will stay within your budget and be a good starter outfit that can be
expanded to your heart's content limited only by your bank account.

Please note that the prices I've listed are average for equipment in
Excellent to Excellent+ condition. You can do better on the price if you
purchase equipment in a lessor condition. From a personal standpoint, I
prefer the better condition gear for two reasons. First, I appreciate owning
and using equipment in nice condition. Second, it's easier to sell the
better condition gear and it will hold it value better. I know there will be
those on the list that will disagree with my reasoning, but I think for the
general run of the population it will apply. Of course, if you are not at
all concerned with cosmetics, or if you are really rough on your gear and
will turn an Excellent condition into a Bargain condition in short order,
save your money. As for wanting to fondle and play before you buy, I don't
blame you. Where do you live? Perhaps we can make some suggestions on
locations.

Regards,
John Austin