[OM] 4X4 the Rockies.......

Subject: [OM] 4X4 the Rockies.......
From: "Bryant Wetzel" <ardvarrk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 02:16:31 -0600
Ken,
        I live in Colorado and read your notes about your planned trip with
glee.
I love a good 4by trail, but will doubly caution you about the really good
ones. Please bring the Suburban!
        I can show you quite a few places up in those Rockies where a stuck jeep
is left because it is just too expensive to hire the heavy lifting
helicopter to get it out. Honest!
        These Jeeps usually get brought out a part at a time. Sometimes even by
the owner. There are roads that look good on the map that turn into steep
sided 500 foot drops with no place to turn around, it's forward or bust,
and there just may be someone coming the other way and you will have to
back down the mountain as the other fellow will find it near impossible to
back up the mountain due to visibility problems.
        Then there is the problem of communications...It is really hard to get a
phone link from the bottom of a cut. Keeping in mind that the bottom of a
cut in the mountains is usually a place for water to collect.
        I can send you a map with some of the better and more sane 4x4 trails
marked if you wish. Might make the trip more fun....

        Please bring the Suburban!

Regards,

Bryant in COLORado

BTW: Bring the Oly things as well, might find a shot or two up there!  I
have some shots on my web site of the San Luis Valley in Park County,
Colorado if you want to take a peek...

www"//http.diac.com/~ardvarrk

        Go to Interesting Spaces, and then Bryant's Pictures....