Re: [OM] 4X4 the Rockies.......

Subject: Re: [OM] 4X4 the Rockies.......
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 10:52:56 -0700
Bryant Wetzel wrote:

> Ken,
>         I live in Colorado and read your notes about your planned trip with
> glee.
> I love a good 4by trail, but will doubly caution you about the really good
> ones. Please bring the Suburban!
>         I can show you quite a few places up in those Rockies where a stuck
> jeep
> is left because it is just too expensive to hire the heavy lifting
> helicopter to get it out. Honest!
>         These Jeeps usually get brought out a part at a time. Sometimes even
> by
> the owner.

Having had a Cherokee for 12 years and put 150K miles on it, I have
mixed feelings here, since I am now the owner of a Tahoe (AKA
mini-Suburban). I would bring the Suburban/Tahoe on this trip ONLY for
the comfort factor. If a Jeep gets stuck in the Rockies, it's certainly
stuck somewhere that a Suburban/Tahoe would never get near. If it was a
real 4x4 trip, the Cherokee would be the hands-down choice. I've done
some 4x4in in Canyonlands and there were places that the Suburban/Tahoe
just would not have been able to get to for 2 reasons: size and turning
radius.

George (I got my Cherokee in and out of the Canyonlands Elephant Hill
trail in one piece, but it was no picnic!) Anderson

<snip>

 Regards,

--

george  :>)