Re: [OM] Problem on my OM-4T's mirror

Subject: Re: [OM] Problem on my OM-4T's mirror
From: Kennedy <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 03:13:49 +0000
In article , John Hermanson <omtech@xxxxxxxxx> writes
>Lens tissue wrapped around a narrow flat object, dipped in denatured alcohol
>works for me.  Don't press too hard on the mirror as the silver can come right
>off if you trap a piece of grit in there.  If there is old mirror foam in the
>corners, that'll smear around alot and you'll have to clean it 10 to 20 times
>to get it all off.

Ok John, I know you have a lot of support here, but that HAS to be one
of the worst (and most dangerous) answers I have ever seen you give!

If there's a recipe for scratching the mirror then wiping it with
anything - including lens tissue - is it, and soaking the tissue in
alcohol (any type) is only going to exacerbate it.

I never thought I'd do this, but here's a tip for you to lift dust off a
front silvered mirror :-)

Take a small clean polythene bag and cut a narrow triangle of polythene
out of it.  Now rub the polythene on a piece of silk or wool to create a
static charge.  Use the electrostaticly charged narrow point of the
triangle to 'lift' the dust off the surface without actually touching it
at all.  You need to hold the polythene so that there is a slight
curvature to it to prevent the charge from pulling the tip down onto the
mirror.

Works for other surfaces as well, like the bottom of the pentaprism once
the focus screen has been removed.

--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)