Re: [OM] Macro Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro Lens
From: Lars Bergquist <timberwolf@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 07:56:30 +0000
>>I am thinking about getting a macro lens.  My original thought was
>>that I would buy the 50mm f2 and use it as my normal lens, too.  But
>>as I read various e-mails here, the 90 mm f2 gets more press.  What
>>are the advantages of the 90 mm over the 50 mm.  My subjects would
>>probably be mostly flowers and and occasional butterfly or
>>grasshopper on the plants.
>>
>>Tom
>>Lafayette, IN
>>
>The 90 is big and heavy by comparison, but it allows you to be twice as far
>away from that skittish grasshopper when you photograph it.

In my experience, this does not make that much difference to the 'hopper.
Stalking technique is far more important, and large and heavy lenses are
a distinct handicap when crawling through the grass. Just as with people--
I have often sidled up to groups of people and shot them with a 24 without
them even noticing it. --Admittedly, you will get many fine pictures of
places where a 'hopper sat just a fraction ago; but it will be the same
irrespective of the equipment you use. A good trick is to shoot insects
early in the morning, when they are still drowsy with the cold and less
hop-prone.

Vänliga hälsningar/Best regards
Lars Bergquist
Välkommen till/Welcome to ...