Re: [OM] Problem on my OM-4T's mirror

Subject: Re: [OM] Problem on my OM-4T's mirror
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 10:28:51 -0700
At 07:38 PM 3/21/98 +1000, "Foxy" wrote:

>Just a sideline to this.
>
>What is the best way to clean a mirror on an OM-1? I realise it doesn't
>affect the picture quality, but I've got to keep taking the lenses off to
>check the dust isn't on the lens!

Well, I may be off on this, but I'd always followed the rule that if you can
*see* something, it's *not* on the lens!  (Dust or detritus on the lens
surfaces shouldn't resolve in the viewfinder -- elsewhere, yes).  Dust on any
of the lens surfaces can cause excessive flare or darkening (depending on the
lightness/darkness of the particles), but you shouldn't be able to see an
actual image of the particle, since the particle's inside the minimum focussing
distance of most lenses (don't know about super-wides -- never owned one, and
with the price increases coming up, probably never will).

As for cleaning the mirror, don't.  The front surface is silvered, and
*extremely* susceptible to scratching or abrading.  Try short puffs of
compressed gas.  Whatever you do, don't even *think* of using alcohol (any
type) to clean it.  I usually inspect my exposed surfaces with an 8x loupe
every once in a while, and you might wanna give your mirror the once-over (you
might find your "dust" is in fact a permanent feature of some sort).

Garth