Re: [OM] Problem on my OM-4T's mirror

Subject: Re: [OM] Problem on my OM-4T's mirror
From: fdayrit@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 19:33:20 +0900

Garth Wood wrote:

> At 07:38 PM 3/21/98 +1000, Terry and Tracey <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >What is the best way to clean a mirror on an OM-1? I realise it doesn't
> >affect the picture quality, but I've got to keep taking the lenses off to
> >check the dust isn't on the lens!
>
> Another contributor to this list (Joel Wilcox) mentioned that he doesn't like
> to use compressed gas on a mirror at all.  I can understand the reluctance.
> However, in my ignorance, I have used gentle puffs in the past which have
> never caused any harm to date, but I can't guarantee the future (and in all
> fairness, I haven't done this often -- possibly twice with my OM-4 in the
> last twelve years).  In any case, my earlier advice (examine with a loupe --
> or a 50mm f/1.8 Zuiko! -- first) still seems reasonable -- you may determine
> that it's something you can't remove gently, in which case I'd say "leave it
> alone."
>
> Garth

another thing that you have to be careful with when using compressed air (like
those now commonly found for cleaning computers) is to make sure that your
curtain will not be on the the direct receiving end of that stream of air.
especially if your curtain is cloth like that on the olympus cameras. i
remember reading this somewhere that the blast from these thing are enough to
damage the curtain. what kind of damage, i don't remember and i don't want to
find out by expereince. but using those small blower brushes should be safe.

francis