Re: [OM] Wishes and M42 adapter for FTL Zuiko's

Subject: Re: [OM] Wishes and M42 adapter for FTL Zuiko's
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 07:42:07 -0700
At 1/13/2023 02:04 AM, Adaptable wrote:
>On 1/12/2023 7:49 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
>>I only have experience with mating m42 lenses to sony E, for which there are
>>more options.
>>. . .
>>I tend to prefer adapters with helicoid, but that increases the price
>>considerably, however it makes using older lenses with 1m MFD much more
>>interesting to use.
>>
>>I have adapters from Fodiox, Yeenon, Fotasy, Vello, Shotten... Some adapters
>>seem nearly identical and likely made by the same manufacture.
>
>Do you have a best value choice? Among my 20+ non LB alt lenses, only three
>are M42, and only one would benefit, but that might be worthwhile.
>
>What I would really like is an LTM/L39/M39 to Sony E focusing adapter. Sadly,
>none seem to exist. The short length would make it a tricky piece of
>engineering. My new to me Canon LTM 50/1.2 only focuses to 1m, and a 10 mm
>tube is a bit long for my purposes. An achromatic C-U lens works, but changes
>the bokeh.
>
>Semi Adaptable Moose

I have an LTM to Sony E. But since I wanted the max helicoid, I bought the most
expensive form. Namely a Shoten L.M - S.E Macro with 6mm of extension. 5mm or
4mm is less expensive. Then I just put an M39-L/M thin adapter on it. I posted
this link I think before:

https://briansmith.com/shoten-leica-m-sony-e-mount-close-focus-adapter/

A bit outdated as the price has gone up and the Voigtlander VM-E is no longer
made, only used versions can be found. So a VM to Sony E with M39 - VM.

As to best value/choice they all vary. For instance the FotodioX M42-NEX/M is
very nice. But the FotodioX Pro Stretch PK-E is very heavy and clunky. While
the YEENON PK-E Macro is very nice by comparison. I hated the fotodiox PK-E
stretch so much I got the YEENON PK-E. YEENON makes very nice adapters but
usually ship from China.

(all photos below are in https://photos.app.goo.gl/TR5Ud27mgL5cvdoJ8, which I
have shared before).

Another fine adapter is the Kipon OM-S/E M adapter with helicoid. Used here
with OM 50mm f1.4:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WHTbvDujint3FnSZA

I'm not the best the person to ask about price/value.

I have a few PK mount lenses:

Cosina 55mm F1.2 (58mm filter thread)
Rikenon P 55mm F1.2 (58mm filter thread) - these two I think are the same lens
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PLBoahEh9HdWURPX9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gnEZtaidHBKps81P6
Porst Color Reflex 55mm F1.2 (55mm thread) - not the same as the two above

Minolta MD mount with Vello LA-NEX-MD-M (helicoid):
Rokkor - PF 58mm F1.4
Rokkor - PG 58mm F1.2

The majority of my alt lenses are M42. The one I like the most is the Takumar
early 8 element 50mm F1.4. You can tell that lens by the IR red line on the
right side of the 4 on the DOF gauge. While all the later 7 element version it
is on the left. You can see here:
https://takumarguide.weebly.com/1--14--50-358-8-element.html
Here using that lens with the helicoid:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RbVLDKQWNxnNFfHd9

I recently acquired a Helios 44-2 early version M42. It is supposedly sharper
than the more mass produced later versions. I have yet to test it out. Also on
the M42 lenses to test is a Topcor 5.8cm F1.8 and a Cosinon 50mm F1.8.

As for the FTL OM M42 lens, most all my m42 lenses have the Auto pin and it has
never been a problem with the adapters.

I'm curious if the G. Zuiko FTL lens is the same as the OM mount early G. Zuiko
lens.

WayneS