Re: [OM] Travel and Other - Some OM content

Subject: Re: [OM] Travel and Other - Some OM content
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 01:20:39 -0800
On 1/12/2023 10:54 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
I have no idea what is involved in your music world, but nice to
hear it is leading you into your life.
I think a safe assumption is that I've taken sufficient interest and
effort to try to become "expert level" as I sought to do with my
photography and audio engineering. There is a point of diminishing
returns, as well as a point where I've "been there done that" and it's
time to add another adventure or interest. With the exception of
salt-water aquariums, I've successfully maintained to some degree
every interest I've had. Oh, except bicycle racing. That did fall away
a bit because of my injuries. Although, there is a part of me that
would love to do a major bike trip here in Alaska. (hint hint hint).

After I do this round of events, I'll have a better idea of what of my
original music is getting anywhere, and if it gains any traction, I'll
release an EP or some remixes.

I'm really struggling with the usual techno performances and am
extremely sensitive to what I see in the crowd. It's kinda like the
band U2. Nobody actually liked U2, they only said they did because
everybody else said they did. It was the ultimate "peer pressure"
band. Only now do we find out that we all hated U2. Standard
EDM/Techno/House and variants all have the same general characteristic
in that it's all about repetition. It runs on the principle of jazz
music in that if you play a wrong note enough times it becomes the
right note. Another analogy is making a peanut-butter sandwich:

Normal music:
Take two slices of bread,
Butter each slice,
Spread peanut butter on one,
Flip one slice over onto the other,
Eat sandwich.

EDM music:
Take, take, take, take, take, take, take, take,
Take, take, take, take, take, take, take, take,
Take two, take two, take two, take two, take two, take two, take two, take two,
Take two, take two, take two, take two, take two, take two, take two, take two,
Take, take, take, take, take, take, take, take,
Take, take, take, take, take, take, take, take,
Two, two, two, two, two, two, two, two,
Two, two, two, two, two, two, two, two,
(add bassline, and repeat)...

Informative, thanks.

I'm so ADHD that I'm about to go nuts. Give me SOMETHING to do.
However, in reality, this is the music equivalent to sitting on the
beach and watching the waves roll in. Some people really need that
sameness that allows them to escape into whatever world they need to
escape into.

I suspect that this is primordial. Many, many indigenous cultures/tribes use repetitive chants, often with dancing. The original raves are thousands of years old.

Speaking of Taizé chanting, someone famous said "You know you are doing it right
when it stops being boring."

But that has never stopped me from writing too much.

Huh? What?

Sitting Still Moose