Re: [OM] Rare Zuiko Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Rare Zuiko Lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 14:03:35 -0700
On 9/5/2022 5:49 AM, Piers Hemy wrote:
I think I recall your adventures, Ian. Suffice to say that "coating separation in
the rear element" should be a big red flag, because there have been no replacement
rear elements available anywhere in Europe for the past 15 years, at least, and I assume
that applies worldwide. You would be reduced to reworking that element, which is itself a
problem, in UK if not elsewhere (can SK Grimes do this?).

I'll stick with the m.Zuiko 8mm, with in-camera de-fishing, at less than 1/3
the price.

Oops! I'm scratching my head, "How could I have missed that?"

But not really in-camera; Oly saith:
"USE THE 8MM FISHEYE AS AN ULTRA WIDE 4.5MM LENS

Using the “Fisheye Correction” function in Olympus Viewer 3 v1.5, users can correct the distortion created by the fisheye lens to get an ultra-wide angle photo with an approximate view-angle of 9mm (35mm equivalent). The superior optical design of the 8mm fisheye lens offers minimal deterioration of image quality in the corners of the image. The fisheye Correction feature of Olympus Viewer 3 is also compatible with 40MP High Resolution Shot images."

https://getolympus.com/us/en/m-zuiko-ed-8mm-f1-8-fisheye-pro.html

I opted for the Panny 8/3.5 fishy. Significantly smaller, half the weight and the extra speed didn't seem important. I've since briefly held one in each hand and used the Panny. I made the right choice for me.

Imadio's Fisheye-Hemi does a wonderful job of de-fishing. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Panny_8mm3dot5/StAudensFish.htm>

That's perhaps the most impressive I've done, but I have done quite a few.<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Panny_8mm3dot5/UnFish.htm>Some examples. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Panny_8mm3dot5/UnFish.htm>

Straightened Out Moose