[OM] Lens testing, including centering

Subject: [OM] Lens testing, including centering
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 22:21:56 -0800
. . .
https://www.olyendomike.com/Oly-7-1428/

I did not take the images at all to compare across platforms, but the
difference is obvious.

The sigie had a tad of sharpening to each and no distortion correction.

https://www.olyendomike.com/Sigma-14-24-f28-centering-200/

I'm not sure I "get" this technique. Not only visually disorienting, but highly
subjective and non-repeatable/comparable.

I use a terribly simple test target.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/PanvsOly25mm/_B170563web.jpg>

Yeah, I know. Not all the targets are level, some warping has occurred  to the paper over the years. But it does the job of useful comparisons. I added smaller bar sets to the AF target, and have yet to try a lens that gets the smallest ones sharp.

Two shots, and you can compare a pair of lenses wide open, absolute resolution and centering. Pull the corners over the center in PS, crop, and you've got a good comparator.

You tell me; can't you clearly see the differences, wide open, between these highly rated and very similar lenses, including centering? <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/PanvsOly25mm/PanvsOly25mm.htm>

The target is designed for 4/3 sensors. The paper targets are in 4:3. Fill the frame with them, and you can compare tests taken at different times. (The above were all at the same time.) Repro ratio is then 1:44, a little farther away than the standard 1:40. Square is easy, set lens height equal to center of target, distance from wall same for lens and target.

In practice, I've found it works for FF comparison to 4/3. Height to fill frame. If fastidious, one might make another target for FF, 38 x 57". I used a corkboard so I can hang it in different places, as physical distances vary a LOT, long tele vs UWA. One could just stick the targets on a basement wall, or such.

Gamma Test Moose