Re: [OM] Close up filters again

Subject: Re: [OM] Close up filters again
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 15:13:10 -0800
On 1/7/2022 7:51 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 1/5/2022 10:42 AM, I wrote:

My first OK photo with the 500D CU at 400mm/F9 hand held.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Tq4FpYUnhsS2kKe8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/P6fRLk1JXLCszRRY6

I updated the photo as I was a bit too hard with the unsharp filter LCE. I
found a better way to do it that does not create the unsharp dark halo effect
and does not seem to enhance the noise. I even tried dialing back the amount of
unsharp mask but the dark halo persists.

Combine, subject of first, background of second. Took just a few seconds to Select Color, then mask. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/WayneS/LCEHalos.htm>

The new method is: Create a copy of the background layer, convert it to B&W and
blend with soft light (or hard light), adjusting the amount. In addition I added a
levels adjust between the B&W and background layer and adjusted the midpoint. The
result is a much smoother background color and more pleasing to my eyes. I also notice
that the blues are close to clipping and I have to take care not to clip them.

LCE halos are a fact of life in PS photo editing; light around dark, dark around light. (Highlight/Shadow can cause them, too, although seldom a problem.) If I have a photo with sky, I don't even think about it, I create a copy layer and mask it to sky only. The Select=>Sky works pretty well on many, but fine tuning with Select/Mask is often necessary. Pretty much magic on things like leaves against sky. Once in a long time, I end up deleting the sky layer at the end.

The sky layer stays on top, and whatever I do below it that bleeds/halos is
covered by it.

Similar technique for other halo problems. This one was especially simple, with a background color so different from the subject.

Masked Halo Moose