Re: [OM] Close up filters again

Subject: Re: [OM] Close up filters again
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 08:51:15 -0700
At 1/5/2022 10:42 AM, I wrote:

>My first OK photo with the 500D CU at 400mm/F9 hand held.
>
>https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Tq4FpYUnhsS2kKe8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/P6fRLk1JXLCszRRY6

I updated the photo as I was a bit too hard with the unsharp filter LCE. I
found a better way to do it that does not create the unsharp dark halo effect
and does not seem to enhance the noise. I even tried dialing back the amount of
unsharp mask but the dark halo persists.

The new method is: Create a copy of the background layer, convert it to B&W and
blend with soft light (or hard light), adjusting the amount. In addition I
added a levels adjust between the B&W and background layer and adjusted the
midpoint. The result is a much smoother background color and more pleasing to
my eyes. I also notice that the blues are close to clipping and I have to take
care not to clip them.

I am still struggling with whether my monitor is set up correctly.

WayneS