Re: [OM] Laowa announces second chipped MFT lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Laowa announces second chipped MFT lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 15:05:35 -0700
On 6/11/2021 1:24 PM, Jan Steinman wrote:
Just got this in my inbox this morning:
----------------
Laowa 7.5mm f/2 MFT Automatic Aperture Version
is now up for purchase.

Highlight of the lens:
1. Remarkable 110° Angle of View
2. Fast Aperture
3. Extremely Close Focusing Distance: 12cm (from subject to sensor)
4. Super Compact and Lightweight
5. Built-in 46mm Filter Thread
What are the differences between the standard version and the automatic
aperture version?

Find Out More

More details here. <https://www.43rumors.com/>

I had the manual version of this lens. I think it was good optically, but I found the lack of EXIF a real problem. On the road, on the move, I just wasn't keeping track of apertures, then later was frustrated by lack of info to learn more about DoF in practice.

At home, I'm quite happy with my menagerie of fully MF lenses for FF. On the move, it didn't work for me. Opt for the Oly 7-14/2.8 or Panny 7-14/4 and get AF in addition to auto aperture and EXIF. I sold the Laowa on and have been happy with the Panny 7-14.

Lamentedly Late Chuck might disagree, but I found that even that short focal length doesn't give optimal results without focusing. 😁

I also have the Voightländer 10/5.6 for FF, which is much wider than this Laowa (122° Horiz. AoV vs 98°). Manual aperture and focus, but it does have EXIF.