Re: [OM] Laowa announces second chipped MFT lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Laowa announces second chipped MFT lens
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 23:09:07 -0700
> From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
> one of the many Chinese companies producing cheap lenses.

In my experience, Laowa is a cut above most of them. I like them better than
Meike, for example, having lenses of similar focal length from both of them.
Most importantly, the workmanship and ergonomics are better, but minor nits
like the focus and aperture direction is the same as Olympus lenses also make a
big difference.

And as far as I know, Laowa is the only manual lens maker putting MFT contacts
on their lenses, which not only communicate basic EXIF information, but which
also allows you to control the diaphragm from the camera, and to put the
current f-stop in the EXIF info. This is the third of their lenses to do so, so
I suspect others will have it, too.

I find this a valuable thing to have in a modern manual-focus lens.

Jan