[OM] OT: USB 3 PCI card claims "not migrated, " but still works

Subject: [OM] OT: USB 3 PCI card claims "not migrated, " but still works
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 16:16:46 -0700
Big thank you to all who replied, especially Frank and Sonny.

The "Device is not migrated" message may not be a problem at all. There are numerous articles on the Web, all giving the same possible troubleshooting steps, none of which work for many people. Microsoft has never officially defined precisely what this message means, according to an IT pro on an MS Help forum.  The advice on several dozen Web sites is that if you get this message and the device doesn't work, follow the troubleshooting steps: The newest device drivers, newest chipset drivers, a system file check, latest BIOS, and reset to default BIOS settings.  If that doesn't solve the problem, buy new hardware.  What's also interesting is that sometimes this error occurs after a Windows update, when the device was working fine up until then. And it has occurred on Microsoft's own hardware.

So, what if the device *does* work?  MS forums have the same advice:  Spin your wheels with fixes that don't work, do a clean install of Windows, and then give up and buy new hardware.

Now for an interesting wrinkle. I decided to go through Device Manager thoroughly and check for "migration" issues on other devices.  My wife's computer is much newer than mine. It's a plain-vanilla Dell with no extra stuff added beyond a wireless card.   Guess what?  Some of her hardware also show "device was not migrated," including the motherboard's built-in USB controllers. Same thing on my computer.  Yet everything has been working fine since I "upgraded" both our computers to Win10 last September.

My semi-educated guess is that there is some sort of checklist MS uses for hardware and drivers that ensure absolute 100% compatibility with all the latest and greatest in their updates. Some of these checklist standards are too strict--a device that doesn't pass with a 100% score will still work fine. But, perhaps for legal reasons, MS puts a message in an obscure tab a couple of levels down in Device Manager, where no one but hard-core techies go.  And they do NOT show this as a true error.  There is no yellow warning triangle, and you don't find the events in any of the standard Event Viewer logs. In other words, what we don't know won't hurt us, but MS' legal posterior is covered, because they "warned" us.  It also encourages hardware manufacturers to absolutely comply with MS standards, and encourages us to buy new hardware.

It's almost enough to make a guy go to LINUX.  Almost.  That way lies a different madness...   :-)

--Peter