Re: [OM] OT: USB 3 PCI card claims "not migrated, " but still works

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: USB 3 PCI card claims "not migrated, " but still works
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 13:42:37 -0700
Thanks, Wayne. Yes, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the ~10 year old OEM
driver on FebSmart’s Web site (which is identical to the one on the mini CD
they sent with the card). I have uninstalled and reinstalled the current
Microsoft driver. I have deleted the card from Device manager with the box
checked to remove the driver, then rebooted. I’ve done all this several times.
My BIOS and chipset driver are Dell’s latest for my PC model. I have run the
“check and repair utility” on Windows‘ system files.

In short, I’ve done everything that several Web sites suggest.  Even though
they assume that The User Is an Idiot Who Knows Nothing. And even though they
are written either by machines, or people for whom English is a second
language, and who believe their writing is more effective if they insert lots
of phrases copied from advertising or corporate boilerplate. :-)

My current thinking is that the error is caused by some sort of safety check
that wasn’t programmed correctly in the driver, but the actual driver code
works fine. I’m going to test that by running a full system backup through the
card to a portable Hard drive. I may just buy another card anyway, and keep it
if it behaves better. Amazon has a good return policy.

>> I re-read through that link. Your PC is old, but I have PCs working that
>> old.

>> https://www.febsmart.com/download.php
driver download:
https://www.febsmart.com/downloadfile/PCIE%20%20USB%203.0%20DRIVER.zip