Re: [OM] Waaay OT--stuck water filter housing

Subject: Re: [OM] Waaay OT--stuck water filter housing
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 20:19:58 -0700
At 12/14/2020 08:09 PM, you wrote:
>At 12/14/2020 04:37 PM, Mike wrote:
>>I always dread the time to change out the filters.  I have two Aquapure AP802
>>housings in front of my softener---bypassed for the hoses and orchids; latter
>>with on-demand heater.    I have triflow faucets upstairs and downstairs with
>>RO water for the sensitive orchids upstairs.  My design, of course,  and has
>>worked like a charm.  Marnie says I need to stick to "theoretical plumbing."
>>I fear she may be correct.
>>
>>It is always a struggle to get these buggers off.  The plumber had the
>>foresight to put in a drain valve on the line so I can totally release the
>>pressure instead of those puny release valves.
>>I have always been able to finagle them off using two of the plastic casing
>>wrenches together,  with a rubber mallet.  If I can get them to budge a mm,
>>they will give way in about 5min of coercion. I had used food grade silicon
>>grease on the threads each time.
>>I try not to over tighten.  I don't change q 6mos as that is overkill given
>>the size of the filters and our usage.  I haven't tried the hair dryer trick
>>yet.  I may get that strap wrench but only have a 3/8 inch ratchet.   I think
>>there are adapters.  Perhaps a PVC pipe as leverage bar on  the wrenches.
>>If they provided really THICK metal custom wrenches with a long handle, I
>>doubt this would be an issue.   Instead crummy flimsy plastic ones or too
>>thin metal ones that just ruin the plastic housing.  Bah.  If I call Luke,
>>the master plumber, it is 150 bucks to step in the door and that is
>>surrender.
>>
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmGZCqKts8M
>>

>>It just won't budge, Mike
>
>I recently had this problem with under counter OR system as AZ water is very
>suspect. What I ended up doing was putting on a wide enough pipe clamp, since
>I had one in the garage. That allowed me to get a good grip onto the pipe
>clamp screw to remove it. Anyway, large pipe worm gear clamp is pretty cheap.
>
>WayneS

Edit. been a long day. Large Hose Clamp is what I meant
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-5-in-Stainless-Steel-Hose-Clamp-6772595/202309382
$2 at the H Depot

That is I could get my channellock pliers on the pipe clamp screw. If you need
even more leverage, you probably could still use the pipe clamp in some way,
rather than purchase a special tool.
I also had the same problem with plumbing to the pool filter, getting it loose.
pipe clamp worked for that as well.

WayneS