Re: [OM] Hyper?

Subject: Re: [OM] Hyper?
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 09:38:21 -0700
At 9/11/2020 10:40 PM, Moose wrote:

>I wonder if anyone noticed what lens the front yard photo of Smog chez Moose
>was taken with?
>
>I grabbed the A7 II with 16-35/4 lens. Once outside, I found that I could get
>either a shot of the yard, with a little bit of sky, or a shot with enough
>sky, but lots of perspective distortion. And correction of perspective
>distortion narrows the AoV quite a bit.
>
>So I switched to the Voightländer Heliar-Hyper-Wide 10/5.6. Ahhh, foreground
>AND sky, with only moderate perspective distortion from imperfect hand
>holding.
><http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Heliar%2010-56/Hyper.htm>

Definitely a better shot wide. I read that smart phones with auto-WB do not
capture the color correctly. Is that the 16-35/4? 16-45/4 must be typo.

The perspective correction, to my eye, does not add much over just the Lens
correction. Which tool did you use for Lens correction?

>It seems to me that the wider view is more compelling as to the phenomenon of
>the sky, while also showing its effect on colors below it.
>
>Of note is that the Sony has considerable linear distortion, while the
>Voightländer has essentially none. DxO PhotoLab has a profile for it, but the
>change is infinitesimal.
>
>Differences in light/color are likely 'cause the light was changing.
>
>I know a lot of people are fearful that such a wide AoV lens is too hard to
>use. I'm not convinced, I think it opens up opportunities.

The wider looks great. And nothing looks stretched out of place. When I want
wide, sometimes 16 does not always get there. And I don't see how a stitch
could quite do the job either.

WayneS