Re: [OM] Systems Rationalization

Subject: Re: [OM] Systems Rationalization
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 17:09:00 -0700
On 9/11/2020 1:43 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
A camera in a bag hardly ever takes photos, except if you have set the gear to ‘no
sleep’

The best bag is open air with the strap around your neck or on your shoulder.

Same with camera, the best one is that you have in your hands when needed.

Am I so wrong ?

The rest seems to me, immaterial …

A great deal of my travel, and photography, involves vehicles to get the the
place, trail, etc.

I carry two or three camera/lens combinations. Thus the desire for bags that both carry and protect the gear on the way and allow the fastest possible access when needed. The cameras I have these days, and the training my fingers have to turn them on as I grab them mean sleep isn't a problem. (STILL a terrible ergonomic weakness of the OM-D models; the switch in the wrong place.) Once arrived, the bag(s) stay in the vehicle.

I have issues with the strap around neck or shoulder. Especially when hiking and biking. For casual outings, OK. But just bend over and the camera comes swinging around. Sometimes you need your hands free to maneuver or to use trekking poles.

Biking and trekking poles aren't part of my world.

I have a Peak Design capture clip attached to the backpack strap. Camera is
always in reach and does not flop around like a camera strapped around the
neck. Works great for me for biking when attached to my Camelbak shoulder
strap. Like the GX9 + PL 12-60. Very comfortable hiking with no neck weight.
Scrambling up rocks, etc. the camera does not get in the way nor swing around
into rocks, leaving both hands free. Probably does not work well with heavy
zoom/telephoto lenses.

Here's a pic of Moose in serious mode, circa 2018.
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/BkGCtcAdLmAS6KDq7>

Around neck:
E-M5 II + PLeica 12-60
E-M5 II + PLeica 100-400

Grabbed off Peak Design capture clip attached to my belt:
GM-1 + 7-14

For 2020, replace all three bodies with GX9s

I imagine I scramble up things where I need both hands far less often than do you. In the above pic, you may note that the straps are different length. When I lean over, they don't bang into each other. For more serious scrambling, move cameras to shoulders and behind arms. Awkward, indeed, with the occasional accident, but none fatal as yet. :-)

Part of the price for the photographic range and flexibility.

The above photo of me (credit MikeG) was taken just before embarking on a tour of the Essex River Estuary on a small boat. With one body, switching lenses on a bouncing boat, with occasional stray bits of sea water flying, I don't get at least one of these shots of an Osprey in surrounding context <https://photos.app.goo.gl/TMRjLvxt6HXUuNjs7>

and Osprey with catch taking off. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/dzuxrQvthQRfPj5Y8>

Fortunately, my neck and shoulders aren't bothered, and the rest of the
inconvenience is worth it.

I've tried all sorts of ways to keep camera at the ready and so far this works
the best.

For one camera, modest size lens, sure.

Necklace O. Cameras Moose