Re: [OM] Systems Rationalization

Subject: Re: [OM] Systems Rationalization
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 18:16:39 -0700
At 9/10/2020 04:46 PM, you wrote:
>So I slotted everything into the Canon 200EG bag. It all fits like a
>charm, and takes up a third less space and is lighter. I've always
>liked that bag, and in fact, I'm actually on my second one as I wore
>the first one out. It doesn't provide as robust of padding, nor is it
>waterproof, but it gets the job done and is comfortable.
>
>The funny thing is that while it is only 2/3 the capacity of the
>SlingShot, it holds just as much stuff. Probably the coolest feature
>is the webbed back that you can hold gloves, sunglasses, hats, wet
>socks, sandals (for water crossings) or whatever loose item into.
>
>Honestly, I really like that bag. Thank you for bringing me to my
>senses. Truth be told, I didn't even try the bag because I thought the
>50-200 wasn't going to fit the way I wanted it to. But it fits better
>than in the LowePro. Go figure. All items are single layer with no
>digging.
>
>The KATA bag is a strange beast. I thought it would be a good bag. I
>needed a larger-capacity bag to carry a full kit without stuff
>clunking against each other and have instant access to all levels of
>gear. For that, it does really well. But like the SlingShot, it just
>doesn't quite line up with the usage promises. It's a very robust bag
>with EXCELLENT gear protection, but it has so much wasted space with
>the way the flaps work, that I would have been better off with a
>smaller bag. But for the Sony/OM kit, it holds everything I'm taking
>and is high quality.

I have a Kata bag I thought would be good. I traveled once to the Carribean
with it. But it is just not functional for most of my needs. I need a hiking
bag first that can hold some camera gear.

I have a lowepro backpack that only holds camera gear. It pretty much is my
storage bag. Good if I move again for porting gear to a new location.

I have a regular backpack with 3L bladder and Tenba case that goes in the
backpack. Not real convenient for the gear, but at least it functions as a
backpack.

DPReview has a video on bags.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy3wJ8xmkCI&feature=emb_logo
The better ones are pricey. Maybe one will work out some day.
And I don't need to take my laptop to the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

WayneS