Re: [OM] Systems Rationalization

Subject: Re: [OM] Systems Rationalization
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 21:54:14 -0700
On 9/10/2020 4:46 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
So I slotted everything into the Canon 200EG bag. It all fits like a
charm, and takes up a third less space and is lighter. I've always
liked that bag, and in fact, I'm actually on my second one as I wore
the first one out.

I was just looking at mine. It hasn't been used for a while - fortunes of kits. There's something basic, well thought out and straightforward about it that I like.

It doesn't provide as robust of padding, nor is it
waterproof, but it gets the job done and is comfortable.

Waterproofing spray.

The funny thing is that while it is only 2/3 the capacity of the
SlingShot, it holds just as much stuff.

Capacity isn't all about cubic inches.

Probably the coolest feature
is the webbed back that you can hold gloves, sunglasses, hats, wet
socks, sandals (for water crossings) or whatever loose item into.

Hey! I never even thought about that. Thanks!

Honestly, I really like that bag. Thank you for bringing me to my
senses. T

I do what I can, considering. :-P

I do bag kits. Primary is a Tenba DNA 13 Messenger Bag <https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1089670-REG/tenba_638_375_dna_13_graphite_messenger.html>

The link is to B&H, but I found/bought it by spending some quality time in a
photo shop with my gear, trying out bags.

I like Tenba messenger bags a lot. My prior one, a smaller messenger bag, had to be replaced when I switched from the Oly 75-100 to the PLeica 100-400. I insist that my primary camera(s) be nose down, ready to grab and shoot, and the longer lens wouldn't fit in the old bag.

The good news is that the internal padded box comes out. That bag is now my air travel "purse", and works for that very well.

The DNA 13 is very well thought out and constructed.

Both Velcro and solid clip closures for the flap. The Velcro is silent when
pulled down while pulling out.

Zipper opening on top, to pull cameras, etc. out without opening the big flap

Good shoulder strap AND good hand grip.

Strap on back for riding securely on luggage. Lots of space for its size. Bag 'o batteries, two filter pouches, GPS in main compartment. Cards and other small accessories in the several flat pockets.

Two mesh bottle pockets. I keep the rain coat in one, which worked fine in a couple of hours of steady rain, the one time I've been caught out in it.

One factor is deciding not to try out the New Oly 100-400 is that it won't fit in this bag. :-) Did I mention that I really like it?

- Think Tank Photo Retrospective 5 Shoulder Bag holds A7 II with 24-240, ready to pull out and shoot, 16-35 and 10/5.6 lenses. <https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1226524-REG/think_tank_photo_708_retrospective_5_shoulder_bag.html>

- Tamrac 3535 Express 5 Bag holds GX9 with 7-14 mounted and 8 mm Fishy. <https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/465623-REG/Tamrac_353507_3535_Express_5_Bag.html>

- The bigger sibling Tamrac Express 6 currently has no regular occupant.

- A Tamrac Tek holds a GM1 with 14-140 mounted.

- LowePro Passport Sling III has the Sony RX10 IV in it, but abort on the NYC
trip left that combo orphaned.

The bags all have spare batteries in them. Part of the gear closet is bags with
gear, ready to grab 'n go.

There are, of course, other bags that don't fit today's kits.

Bagger Moose