Re: [OM] New additions to the Living History Farm

Subject: Re: [OM] New additions to the Living History Farm
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 02:46:25 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Wayne's image is very nice but focus stacked--3D impression greatly affected by
this technique and less about lens rendering. The CV110 is one lovely lens
nonetheless.

My impression of microcontrast as it applies to the Zeiss C/Y 35-70 is contrast
in the 20-30 pixel radius range     (at least when I played around with images
on the 5DII) It is not a subtle phenomenon
As I said one can spot that the lens was used on the little LCD on the back of
the cam.  (An aside--should LCE radius be changed in PS for very high
megapickel cams?)  3D pop is very subjective but you know it when you see it.
If forced to generalize would say it is easier to achieve with wider lenses at
medium apertures at medium subject distances.  Lighting, color composition
clearly play a role.  Good central sharpness and microcontrast may play a role
as well as the nature of the transition zone.  I have read  (with no definite
proof) that Zeiss lenses were often designed to have non-linear transition
rates making the 3D effect easier to achieve.  Perhaps off axis astigmatism
with softer corners adds to the effect ironically making "less good" older lens
designs better for this application.  I think the article was a bit needlessly
satirical of probably some valid observations.

Be advised all this is armchair speculation and I will never admit in court to
any of it, but it is fun to think about.

Not raising my right hand, Mike