Re: [OM] New additions to the Living History Farm

Subject: Re: [OM] New additions to the Living History Farm
From: "Pearce, Wilfred via olympus" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 19:07:02 +0000
Cc: "Pearce, Wilfred" <pearce@xxxxxxxx>
Bob Benson said:

PS:  room-temperature IQ is too high a bar to describe a lot of what we
see.  But it's the cost of our doing this business.

Ah how sad but true. As I watch our current political campaigns, it makes me
sad that there is a constant decline in well thought out things and
intellectual content. The first presidential election that I remember at all,
through B&W vision, was the one that gave us Eisenhower. Candidates stated
areas where we needed improvement and how they would correct them, ways in
which our lives could be better and how they would accomplish that, and how our
systems, such as taxation, could be  more equal, and how progressive tax rates
could be better. Now what have we? False problems and ineffective solutions,
fictional things that the candidate thinks need correction and not entirely
fairly balanced solutions.

I was sitting in a cigar lounge a few nights ago, talking to another member,
who is generally , as a proud texan, very very conservative. we see something
on TV and he comments that he sees no reason why someone making over a certain
amount shouldn't pay 30% or so in income tax, and someone in a house over a
couple of hundred thousand shouldn't have to pay a higher tax rate. Bear in
mind that this is someone who will have to pay the increased raes he cites. And
I think we all understand that there should be geographic weighting in this
system, but still, this is from a man that I would expect to wear a MAGA hat.

So I guess that our entire population isn't stupid.

Bill