Re: [OM] Brand new to LR for DAM (mostly), suggestions as how to set up

Subject: Re: [OM] Brand new to LR for DAM (mostly), suggestions as how to set up library and import images.
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2020 20:32:47 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Primarily looking for nuts and bolts suggestions on importing the images the
first time.
First time load of all images, either way:

<<<1. Click the Import button, select all the folders with images, tell it
"Make it
<<<So". Go to bed.

Thanks!  Exactly what I was looking for ---but SERIOUSLY want to avoid the
button where the Borg assimilate  the files.  What button is that?

<<A problem with the "camera/year/month/day" model occurs when shooting with
more than one model of camera at the same time, or on the same trip. This is
where LR's Collections work <<their magic. ZS200, GX9s, iPhone all are
seamlessly together in the "Ireland - 2019" Collection.

<<<Or, I can look at it together with "Ireland - 2018" and look at them by day,
place, lens, file type, whatever. The capabilities of selection are really
powerful. That, to me is a major reason to <<have only the one catalog of
"everything".

<<The power of selection by metadata is wonderful. It even sometimes makes up
for
<<<my lack of keywording. :-)

That is a very nice feature.  DXO has "projects" but as a DAM just isn't as
elegant.

<<If you are going for a full LR catalog set-up, get used to initiating editing
of Raw files in LR. When you open a Raw file into PS using FastStone, it goes
first into ACR, then into PS. Working <<<from LR, go to Develop Mode, which is
mostly a different face on ACR, do whatever you would do in ACR, and CTRL-E to
switch into PS.

What about images not processed or  if use DXO as converter?  Perhaps import
the folder after use PIE?

Uncatalogued (not for long), Mike