Re: [OM] Self-isolating

Subject: Re: [OM] Self-isolating
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 20:17:50 -0700
I am perhaps too easily bemused. This stuff kills, and does so disproportionately for the elderly and apparently esp. male elderly. Why would anyone NOT wear mask and gloves when shopping? I finally saw an article questioning the WHO and CDC assertions that masks are not necessary for those not ill. They are people focused on overall, average outcomes, not whether the low odds happen to come up for me - or you.

One important issue about mask-wearing not mentioned is the limited supply.Low odds people wearing masks that might be better used in a high risk situation.At least in this country at the beginning things were tight. Maybe the supply is catching up.

Our local doctor is still scrambling to come up with supplies and at least 5000 tests for the island to begin with. This would test everyone once and really make managing things a whole lot easier. Apparently this is what Iceland is doing with some success. He has been going to private sources (expensive) and using private donors. We are lucky to have some high net worth individuals with connections to the Island. The federal government is in total chaos.

So far we have one case. An EMT who was working on the mainland. He self-diagnosed, got tested and self-isolated. When the first case was reported people got a little freaked out and rumors were going around so Joaquin (EMT) posted an update on FB. He is now on the mend. No damage to him or to the community.

We've been working on projects around home. Kids have been putting a lot of time in down at the garden. I've been putting the finishing touches on some new landscaping (photos coming), mowing and I processed all the remaining apples from last fall. 2 1/2 gallons of applesauce and some cider. The pigs got the rest. And of course a daily walk. Plus working from home.

<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/WalkDogs/Mar20/pigs%20-003-28_3280057.jpg>

Stay safe