[OM] OT: Upgrade Win7-10?

Subject: [OM] OT: Upgrade Win7-10?
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 20:59:29 -0700
Since there are many fellow computer mavens on the LUG and Olympus lists, let me pose this question.  I am still running Windows 7. The COVID-19 situation means a I'm stuck at home, which would seemingly make it an ideal time to upgrade. But, if something goes wrong, then I'm without everything for which I rely on my computer until I can fix it, during a time when support or hardware might not be readily available.  My concerns includes hardware drivers, and software I use all the time (Capture One v. 10, music notation software and ham radio software).  I have good backups of all my data, but not full backups of my entire setup.

My computer is a Dell Optiplex 980 tower desktop, about 6 years old, with 8GB of RAM, two conventional hard drives, a replacement Dell video card and a third-party USB 3.0 card. It is not certified for Win10, but perusals of the Dell support site have turned up a significant number of remarks that  "the upgrade went fine."

I could upgrade, I could wait until the pandemic is over, or I could wait until I need a new computer.  I know "official" support for Win7 is over. But I suspect that many corporate setups have stayed on Win7 just like they stayed on WinXP earlier.  I don't think Microsoft would let them all die if some major Win7 malware appeared.  And I run a good virus checker (Trend OfficeScan).

Advice welcome.  Thanks.
--Peter