Re: [OM] OT: Dialup Intrnet

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Dialup Intrnet
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 12:52:22 -0900
> Thanks for saying what has been on my mind about this. I ahd DSL once. I
> didn'[t ever have a horse and buggy, bu tI expect I would have liked each
> other equally.
>> Of course a major high-tech university town is not going to use an
>> antiquated technology like DSL.

The "technology" isn't antiquated, just the physical medium. And in
reality, the physical medium isn't necessarily antiquated, it just
needs proper engineering to be utilized. Twisted copper pairs can pass
amazing speeds--just not very far. It's distance limited. If you are
within 1000 meters of the DSLAM, extreme speeds (and reliability) are
possible. Beyond that distance, speeds drop off rapidly. The problem
is that the physical medium was deployed when distance limits were not
an issue.

Give me a sow's ear and I can make a silk purse.

AG Schnozz