Re: [OM] OT: Dialup Intrnet

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Dialup Intrnet
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 07:12:50 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I may have mentioned this earlier, but I did figure out how to use my cell
phone exactly like MiFi.  The user manual was not clear about what "tethering"
is, but I gave it a try and it works exactly the same.  Cost is $0.01/meg and
TracFone does not have an unlimited plan for this phone.  So, I download my
Facebook page in the morning using the tethering then fall back to dialup for
the rest of the day.  That plus a few other small items uses about 30meg/day,
which I can afford without wincing.

     Another nice thing is that the coffee shop that I prefer now has Cox wifi,
and I'm using it now.  Too many people left because of 19CL overwhelming the
DNS Client.  That has to be illegal as it's similar to jamming.

>That's what I went with when we moved to rental accommodation as we didn't
>know how long we would be there, turns out we've been here a year and have
>signed a lease for another year - decided to build a house that would have
>exactly what we want rather than try to find one !
>Anyhow performance can be good and can be awful (feels  like dial-up) and
>completely unpredictable, I assume this is due to congestion on our part of
>the mobile network which is probably undersized in bandwidth.  Looking
>forward to moving to the new place which has fibre at the front gate.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson