Re: [OM] OT: Dialup Intrnet

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Dialup Intrnet
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 11:44:29 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Fortunately, I never stated nor suggested that ASU provided internet in
any form to residential areas.  What I did demonstrate was the irony of being
next to a major high-tech university and not having DSL available.

     I'm enjoying this connectivity by way of my cell phone, but I need to
manage it carefully.  It costs $0.01/meg of data, and if I'm not careful I
could deplete my prepaid data very quickly.  So, I'm only downloading an
initial connection to my Facebook page in the morning and then using the dialup
for the rest of the day.

     The fellow who owns that coffee shop is a sad example of how the US public
views high tech toys.  His eyes glaze over whenever someone like 19CL shove
something new in front of him, then jumps in with both feet and blames the
users for the subsequent incompatibility.  I could get a 5G wifi dongle for my
laptops, but I'm just not going to patronize the high-tech shell game.  I was
involved in high tech for too long to see it for anything other than what it
really is, being a waste of time and money.

>> You've mentioned being close to the University but not able to get DSL
>>a couple of times recently. But what makes you think the university
>>bothers with DSL? They might have OC3 or an even bigger connection.
>
>Multiple 10Gbps and 100Gbps connections.
>
>Every school district in the country is supposed to have 10Gbps connections.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson