Re: [OM] OT: Dialup Intrnet

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Dialup Intrnet
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 21:06:10 -0800
I pay 19CL about $85/mo for dsl, land line package which includes a bunch of "features" which we don't use. Includes all the taxes and fees, about $25 of the total. What I get is "up to 10mbps" which in reality is 4mpbs on a good day and typically 3+mbps. This is better than what we were getting a few years ago...<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/speedtest20.jpg>...albeit that was a bad day. Modem is showing a Loop Length of about 12000' so I guess that's about the best I can expect. The local power cooperative has partnered with T-Mobile and they are running fibre and putting up towers everywhere (except around here). The neighbor about 50m up the hill just switched to their LTE service ($75/mo) and says he is getting 20mbps now. He has a better line-of-sight than we do so maybe help is on the way. Only problem is that I can't give up the land line yet at least until I can call 911 without driving half mile down the road.