Re: [OM] OT: Dialup Intrnet

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Dialup Intrnet
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 15:29:43 -0800
The issues here are exactly as the "grizzled veteran" says. I have 12000' of 24-pair up to our pedestal. Each time our service deteriorates the guys come out and switch us to another hopefully cleaner pair. According to Shaun who is usually the one to do it says we're down to the last couple "good" pairs. He's been out here a lot cleaning up our line. The good news is that they have upgraded the service to a new interface just 3500' down the road. The bad news is that they used copper. The good news is that we still may get 20mbps. The bad news is that it may cost more even though they said it wouldn't. The good news is that the new LTE Fixed Wireless tower may be close enough to get 20mbps for $50. I'm skeptical. And what do I do for a phone?

Weeellll, that depends. I used to have occasional trouble with dial-up. Then I had trouble with DSL. I had various service calls in over the years. The hip young Asian guy with the spiky gelled hair and the fancy looking test gear told me I was far enough from the hub that I couldn't expect high speeds. He said my real trouble came when it couldn't reach the set speed, dropped down to snail's pace back-up speed - and could only be reset from their end. He set it lower than before, to minimize those events. But it was the grizzled veteran lineman who told me what the real trouble was. After reconnecting me through three junctions, he told me that all the old copper gear around here has developed a fatal problem with age. The punch down connections and the wire have some sort of chemical interaction that corrodes the wire, and it breaks. He said that on two poles, my connection was only the end of a wire resting against the punch down connector terminal. That was many years ago, and as you said, that copper ain't gonna be replaced. Somebody ran some new cable up the poles here months ago, but as yet, no one has offered me a fiber connection. So, hi ho,hi ho, cable is the way to go. For now.
Cabled Moose